Irish Landlord   allainzShop

Go Back   Irish Landlord > Dealing with Tenants
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30-09-2010, 01:05 PM

Default trouble with neighbours!

Hi all,
Hope someone can give some advise here, this is all new to me. I own an apartment in a block of 12, which I recently rented out to a polish family.
2 weeks ago one of the other apartments was rented out to a family of knackers (a guy, woman and 1 child).
Up to last nite everything was quite there but then last nite they ended up beating the heads off each other and the woman ran to one of the neighbours doors (not my tenents) crying and looking to be let in so the boyfriend/hubby couldnt get her.
None of the residents/owners are happy about having them living there, I personally think all they will do is devalue the property, but aside from that people dont feel safe there now either and are worried about what they will draw around the place! I'm sure I dont need to spell it out for anyone here.

so my question is - is there anything the rest of us (owners or residents) can do about this? The girls who's door they were knocking on last nite rang the letting agent this morning but got no hop from him, so she said she was going to report it to the gardai, but I'm sure it's not their problem now considering it's after the fact.
Any advise on this would be great.
Thanks,
Mary.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2010, 02:28 AM

Check with your "head lease" and the the management company.

Contact their landlord - this may be bordering on anti-socil behaviur for which the landlord can and is obliged to take action.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:50 AM

You have my sympathies,I have had similar problem with LLs who obvoulsy will rent to anything as long as it is breathing,these people think they can get away with it well they cant...make a formal complaint to the PRTB about the tenants and they will then in turn get in touch with the LL and ask him to remedy the situation...if hes not registered then he is in for a big heap of trouble...serves them right.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:16 AM

Thank you both for the response. Since I wrote y'day I have a bit more information. The guards were in fact called that night and the guy was arrested and the woman went off in his car with the child, prob home to the clan.
I spoke with my tenant and she is not happy at all, (not that I blame her). She said she doesnt feel safe living there now with them there, I am meeting with her on Sat and could end up losing a very good tenant over this. I am going to call to the other LL, we both lived in the apartments at the same time so I know him fairly well, and threaten him with a call to the PRTB,,,not sure if he's registered or not, but hoping that the threat will be enough to make him see sense and get them out of there, and I really dont care if it does cost him, I think he was very selfish in the first place moving them in there!
One of the other owners was on to the management co. and we are going to call a meeting for next week and hopefully put something in place to stop this happening again, does anyone know how vetting tenants works through the management co? Not sure what we can do but just hoping it can be sorted out.

I've just gotten a text from another owner saying the LL had his agent go up there last nite and issue a warning! Saying that any more trouble and they will have to leave! A lot of good that will do to the likes of these, and really are we expected to wait around on tender hooks until he causes trouble again before we can be rid?

God its so annoying, cant belive this guy letting these people move into his apartment, be good enough for him if it does end up costing him dearly! Sorry now I know that's spitfull but just so pissed off with the whole mess.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:39 AM

Pretty unfortunate situation - and, yes, you're absolutely entitled to feel agrieved with owner. Quite aside from the arrogance and disrespect in allowing these people move in to an otherwise quiet and peaceful complex, it's bizarrely stupid: if he thinks for a minute that he'll be getting rent from these people, he's sorely deluded.

However, what's done is done. They're there now and re:

"the LL had his agent go up there last nite and issue a warning! Saying that any more trouble and they will have to leave! A lot of good that will do to the likes of these, and really are we expected to wait around on tender hooks until he causes trouble again before we can be rid?"

Unfortunately, there isn't much else that can be done at this point. Eviction on the basis of anti-social behaviour is really difficult to substantiate. In my experience, you're better off looking for an alternative basis of termination [but, in a curious positive, behaviour such as that outlined almost invariably comes with non-payment of rent, breach of a host of lease clauses etc - so there should be another angle that can be taken].

I'd suggest getting on to the other landlord. Tell him, in no uncertain terms, that he needs to start working towards getting these people out NOW - not if it happens again, not on a wait-and-see-how-things-go basis etc etc - but NOW. And he needs to go and speak to them in person, not send his agent. I'd also tell him that you'll be holding him responsible for any losses you incur as a result of his stupidity (ie, if your tenant moves out, and who could blame her if she does?].
Old 01-10-2010, 01:04 PM

Thanks again, I'm going to call to the LL tomorrow and have a word with him and if I dont get an satisfaction from him I'm going to report it to the PRTB and let him deal with the conquences of that! I have a feeling he's not registered, and if he's not then this mess is going to cost him dearly....i just hope it gets sorted before it ends up costing the rest of us too! I see what you're saying about getting them out on the grounds of anti social behaviour, it would be a long and messy way of going about it so really our only hope is that they are going to neglect paying their rent, dont forget they've only been there 2 weeks so we prob wont know if thats happening until next month, I imagine they are paying a month in advance!
The joys of renting eh! and here was me thinking I'd have worries with my tenants, little did I know I'd have the hassle of worrying about other peoples tenants too. All I can say is thank god I'm not still living in there, I only moved out 2 months ago, but still it was my first home and I hate what this is doing to the place. It is a lovely estate and I hate to think what could end up happening to it and it's not fair on the people still living in there.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:06 PM

I'd also tell him that you'll be holding him responsible for any losses you incur as a result of his stupidity (ie, if your tenant moves out, and who could blame her if she does?].[/quote]

Sorry, i meant to ask - Can I hold the other LL responsible if my tenant moves out? What did you mean by this? Any information I can get that will help "persuade" him when I meet him to get rid of these people would be a great help.

Thanks again,
mary.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:18 PM

There are certain types of tenants I just will not rent to full stop.period.I find it awe inspiring the stupidity of people who do and then come moaning and acting surprised when it all goes Frank Spencer...what were you expecting?

If a tenant cannot supply work refs...adios
If a tenant is in a rush to get into your property..adios
If a tenant appears in anyway bogey....adios

If there is poor demand for your property,drop the price til you get the market,a bogey tenant in situ promising to pay full rent is worthless and will cost you beaucoup ducats and wreck your head morning til night and more than likely wreck the property.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:44 AM

I fully agree with you Shark Tiger, there are certain types of people I just wouldnt let into my property or inflict on my neighbours!

Well just to update on the situation. I called to my tenant on Sat and she told me she was afraid of them and wouldnt stay living there if they were going to be staying. She said they had been calling her names and giving her dirty looks in the hallway, they had been looking in her windows and generally just intimidating her.
So I was just on my way to see the landlord when he arrived up to the apt with his letting agent. Basically his agent tried to do all the talking for him, saying that there was no proof his tenants were the ones who caused the trouble, my tenants were afriad to speak to him when he asked if they had any problems and the girl who called the guards the nite it happend didnt open her door to them when they came banging so his letting agents kept trying to say we had nothing on them and basically blamed me for being predigust against travellers, oh he was full of shit...claimed the guy was the most gentle person you could meet, yeah rite and said if there was trouble maybe he'd just had a drink or two after being a gentle guy for 6months and it just went to his head, scary to think what kind of people this letting agent hangs around with it that's how they react to a drink and consider it ok!.any way thank god another 2 owners living there came along and they vouched for what happened and said they had seen the guy been put into the cop car, so there we had proof it was them that had cause the whole thing. Anyway to make a long story short they agreed to getting them out of there and we were first told the letting agent had spoken to the womans mother and she was going to have their stuff moved on the Sun but then we got another message saying they would move when they got another place, and now we are being told it'll be the end of the week. Well we have a management co meeting of the owners tomorrow nite and hopefully we will get some straight answers then and also put into place something so this doesnt happen again. Just wondering if anyone knows , can a letting agent attend the meeting instead of the owner, would they have a right to that, cause I know the owner is sorry now he's gotten into this mess and was relying on the letting agent to do the talking for him, so i'd rather we got a chance to hammer things out with the owner rather than have to listen to more shit for the letting agent about the most gentle people on the planet!!! Also when I said it to the owner about logging a complaint with the ptrb and said to him about having everything in order, he looked totally blank and asked the agent if everything was in order!!! of course your man said yes it was but I have my doubts!
Old 06-10-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
when I said it to the owner about logging a complaint with the ptrb and said to him about having everything in order, he looked totally blank and asked the agent if everything was in order!!! of course your man said yes it was but I have my doubts!
I would be surprised if this donkey even knows what a PRTB is,continued bad behaviour from his tenant,himself or his politically correct and hugely sensitive agent and I personally would make sure he finds out exactly what a PRTB is and exactly how much the fine is for failing to register.